21 Questions to ask a Prospective Coven
So, you have been asked to join a coven – sounds awesome, but… have you met them? You need to make sure it’s a good fit. Have you seen how they’ve done ritual? Their bylaws? What are their expectations of you? Will they be providing training?
Here are 21 questions to ask a prospective coven:
- What are the goals of the coven?
- How is the coven be structured? Is there a hierarchical structure, or is it egalitarian? Is there a degree program? Rotating leadership?
- Is there an inner court and an outer court?
- How are inquiries to join handled?
- How are decisions be made, ultimately- vote or consensus?
- Are there different titles in your organization?
- How is the coven funded?
- How are grievances / conflicts resolved?
- How often will you be meeting and on which days?
- What is the expectation for attendance?
- What happens if that expectation is not met?
- Will they be teaching classes or providing training?
- Do they plan on serving the community, through public ritual or volunteering in the mundane community?
- Will they be “out” in the community? Will they have a web presence? Who controls that that?
- Are there any special requirements for those who are interested in joining the coven? ie: gender/ age/ mobility/ drug use/ alcohol use/ mental illness issues?
- Skyclad or no?
- Where will you be meeting?
- What, if any, part of your liturgy will be oathbound / secret?
- Will you be focusing on any particular deity or pantheon(s)?
- What tools will you be using and what are their purposes within your coven’s circle?
- How would they describe their ritual style? How do they celebrate the sabbats? How do they work with the esbats?
- What are the expectations of the coveners when they are on their own time (personal practice, book study, practice in your covens style/trad?)